Skip to main content

Baseball Roadtrip: Denver, Colorado

It has been a while since my last blog entry, since the last time I wrote, I have crossed off many new baseball stadiums and am down to the last few to see before making trips back to see repeat teams with new stadiums. What got me thinking about writing again was this weekend's trip to Denver, Colorado. This experience was so incredible that it needed to be written about. Over the course of three days, I saw Coors Field, crossed off a new state to visit (Wyoming), visited three of over one hundred local breweries and spent a day in one of the most amazing and unique tourism spots that I have ever seen - Rocky Mountain National Park. While planning various trips to MLB stadiums across the country, Denver was never high on my list. Turns out, Denver may end up near the top because of the other activities that I was able to experience while in the area.

Amazingly, I learned that Coors Field, built in 1995, is the third oldest stadium  of all National League teams. Only the Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Dodgers play in older stadiums. Fitting in with the retro fit parks that Baltimore pioneered with Camden Yards, this was a very intimate stadium, despite it's huge capacity. My favorite thing about a ballpark is an open concourse so that if you need to get up, you can still feel part of the game. The lower level of seating had this and I was able to do a lap around the stadium without missing much. From a service perspective, there wasn't much unusual offered for food that made Coors Field stand out, however as you might expect, they did offer many different beers that I had never seen before, including two that were brewed inside the stadium. Colorado, known for their micro breweries, was well represented inside the stadium. Not often would I notice customer service, but the Rockies overwhelmed me with their vendors. When I got up to purchase a beer, I was impressed with the service by JoAnne in section 135. When I returned, she remembered my name and when I complimented her for being extremely good at her job, she came outside of her booth to give me a hug to thank me. This was definitely a unique person, but all vendors I interacted with were smiling and making me feel special.

Something else that really stands out about Coors Field that made it unique is the firs growing in centerfield. Fans are not able to get close to the trees or the fountains that erupt after a home run hit by a Rockies player, but they add to the natural feel that the entire state gives.

Fans at Coors Field were very cordial to me, even though I was wearing an out of town jersey. I grew up expecting the opposite in Boston or New York, so this was worth mentioning. The fans were very much into the game and made a good bit of noise. The stadium is open in left-field, so sound does escape. It is not as loud as Rangers Ballpark in Arlington or Fenway Park, but it does have loud engaged fans. After the game was over, the Lower Downtown area is alive. Unlike most stadiums I have visited, the bar and nightlife scene is within one block of the stadium. It was a simple walk across to the street to be able to enjoy another micro brew alongside hundreds of other Rockies fans. Cab rides back to the hotel were cheap and beat having to pay as much as $30 to park.

Overall, this stadium deserved more credit from me. I underestimated the city and the entire state of Colorado, it is an incredible place and not all that expensive to pull off a weekend trip. If I learned anything from this trip, it would be to take advantage of Rocky Mountain National Park! Located about 2 hours away from downtown Denver, this was the highlight of the trip even though it was only for about 90 minutes. There, I saw the top of the Rocky Mountains, took photos of the snow capped peaks, and was able to do some brief  hiking. With more time, there would have been so much more to experience. The views of the mountains are lifetime memories and very much different from the Appalachian Mountains and their rolling hills. The sound was even different. For a few minutes of silence after some of the other tourists disappeared, a sound almost like ocean waves crashing into the sand became apparent. This was the wind whipping across the peaks and into the valley's and back up again. On the way out of the park, the best panoramic view becomes apparent and then it is back towards civilization with the majority of the mountains on the way back to Denver not as impressive as what was just witnessed, albeit hard to live up to. Other places I saw were Fort Collins and Cheyenne, WY. Fort Collins is the home to Colorado State University and is a great little college town. New Belgium Brewery is located about 10 minutes away from the campus and has an awesome tasting room. The place was packed at 1:30 in the afternoon and the Home Plate Stout was fantastic. They have coaster postcards that they will mail for you, which I participated in. Cheyenne, WY served its purpose of being another state checked off my list. There is not much to the state capital of Wyoming, but the people there too seemed to share the same sense of pride in their teams. The two places I stopped saw people wearing Rockies and Broncos gear and posters in the door with the local High School football team's schedule or the schedule for nearby University of Wyoming.

Definitely do not sell Colorado short. Plan on having many other activities available on a trip besides baseball. The stadium gets an 8/10; the trip gets a 9/10.

Next up: Oakland (5/12) and St. Louis (6/10)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Florida Marlins Analysis

After watching the Florida Marlins in living color over the past four days, I feel fairly confident when I say that they are in for some rough days over the next couple of months. There is absolutely talent on this team. Note that Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez are all-stars and they have a top end of the rotation starter in Scott Olsen. From my viewpoint, this team has been kept afloat from the unlikely success of many players. Jorge Cantu, Luis Gonzalez and just about every single pitcher on their staff. The Marlins are a group of recycled veteran castoffs that have gelled incredibly well for the first two months of the 2008 season. The reason why I feel that this team is about to nose dive to fourth place is simply that they cannot expect all of these players to continue their unusual success all at the same time. Also, when you look at what internal support they have coming to them there are a couple of talented young pitchers returning from serious arm problems (Josh Johnson and A

Getting a Job in Baseball

I figure that it is time to write an update with respect to my professional development as this blog is intended to shine some light as to how young professionals can get into Major League Baseball using my anecdotal stories as an example. The Waiting Game I recently went on a two week vacation to Egypt and the Dominican Republic. When I left, I had no job offers, few leads and no reason to feel hopeful that anything was coming. Yet I still had the feeling that when I checked my phone each night for messages that I would have good news. Before going to sleep in a timezone that was 7 hours ahead of the east coast, I would turn my cellphone on for five minutes to try and catch a signal to see if I had voice messages. The nerves making my stomach turn over each day that I either did not receive a message or there was no signal for the phone to pick up as we sailed along the Nile. After returning to Cairo, where cellphones work with ease, the message finally came through to me on January 7

2009 MLB Free Agents

Potential Free Agents for 2009-2010: Catchers: Josh Bard BOS Michael Barrett TOR Henry Blanco SD Ramon Castro CWS Jason Kendall MIL Jason LaRue STL Chad Moeller BAL Bengie Molina SF Jose Molina NYY x-Miguel Olivo KC Mike Redmond MIN Brian Schneider NYM x-Gregg Zaun TB First-Basemen: Hank Blalock TEX Russell Branyan SEA Carlos Delgado NYM Nomar Garciaparra OAK Jason Giambi COL Aubrey Huff DET Nick Johnson WAS Adam LaRoche ATL Kevin Millar TOR Greg Norton ATL Robb Quinlan LAA Matt Stairs PHI Mike Sweeney SEA Jim Thome LAD Chad Tracy ARZ Second Basemen: Marlon Anderson NYM Ron Belliard LAD Jamey Carroll CLE David Eckstein SD Orlando Hudson LAD Felipe Lopez MIL Mark Loretta LAD Third Basemen: Adrian Beltre SEA Geoff Blum HOU Joe Crede MIN Mark DeRosa STL Pedro Feliz PHI Chone Figgins LAA Troy Glaus STL Jerry Hairston NYY Mike Lamb MIL Melvin Mora BAL Juan Uribe SF Shortstops: Orlando Cabrera MIN Juan Castro LAD Alex Cora NYM Khalil Greene STL Ramon Martinez LAD Miguel Tejada HOU Corner Out