Skip to main content

A Season With the Braves

On January 26th, I walked into the offices at Turner Field for the first time as marketing trainee and was met by smiling faces and great people eager to see what I could do. 302 days later on November 24th, my tenure as trainee will officially end and I can now say that this has been the most significant learning experience of my life. Just the other day, I was talking with my mom on the phone about the year and the wise woman that she is, she pointed out to me that years like these deserve to be remembered because times will not always be this wonderful so I choose to write.

The 2009 Major League Baseball season saw the Atlanta Braves make a big statement on the field from taking the one of the worst NL pitching staffs from 2008 (4.46) and turning it into the third best in 2009 (3.57 ERA). The trade for Nate McLouth showed early on that the Braves were not content with .500 and moving into 2010, this team looks like it could be a strong contender again behind great pitching. The pulse of the fans in the final week of the fans as the Braves made one final run at the Wild Card absolutely proved that Atlanta still loves baseball. The town was buzzing with "Braves Believers" as the team came to within two games with six to play. Things did not finish as hoped, but there is a great deal of hope for next year.

In the office, the work that was put in was deserving of a World Series trophy. I can remember a day when I thought that working in baseball meant exclusively the baseball operations departments making player decisions. While that theory was dispelled a long time ago, I still couldn't believe how much planning goes into a baseball season outside of what happens on the field. Across the office, I noticed how well Braves employees work together and look for ways to be more successful. I was immediately welcomed into the front office and I hit the ground running. In my capacity, I had the opportunity to focus on fan development marketing which included access to the Braves Facebook and Twitter pages, managing our mobile marketing team and mailing fan packages. Outside of these daily tasks, I did everything from passing out flyers at the gates to being shown on SportsCenter as a character in the popular Home Depot Tool race. As to be expected with any entry-level position, I struck the word "no" from my vocabulary which allowed me to gain these great experiences outside of my day to day tasks. Staying humble was crucial to my development this year and I truly do believe that it allowed me to gain respect of my co-workers. At the conclusion of my 302nd day, I will walk out of Turner Field knowing that nothing was left on the table. Even better, I finish the season with industry connections, experience and a few life-long friends.

For anyone looking to participate in the Trainee program, I am an extremely strong voice of support. Those who are financially capable of spending an eleven month period living near the poverty line, this is the best program in baseball for entry-level work. I feel this because trainees are given great responsibility in implementation of day-to-day work. To me, that opportunity to participate in the daily tasks for the organization was the best learning experience. In my experience, I was asked to hire and manage a staff of twenty-three people. There are not many programs in sports that offer such leadership potential. Another valuable opportunity that a trainee will receive is exposure. Exposure to leaders in the industry and to the sport business in general. At the conclusion of the season there may be a couple of people that earn a full-time offer, but the vast majority are qualified job seekers both inside the sport industry and in other areas because the Atlanta Braves are at the top of our resumes.

It remains to be seen where my next step will take me, but I am proud to announce that working with the Atlanta Braves this season allowed me to grow as a person. I feel as though 2009 was the best year of my life to date largely because of the people. This organization is incredibly well staffed with effective leaders and I feel extremely fortunate to have made so many great connections this season. While I am extremely excited to see what challenges the next chapter of my career will bring, I know that what I have gained from being an Atlanta Braves trainee was more than worth the time, money and energy that I put forth to make it work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Florida Marlins Analysis

After watching the Florida Marlins in living color over the past four days, I feel fairly confident when I say that they are in for some rough days over the next couple of months. There is absolutely talent on this team. Note that Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez are all-stars and they have a top end of the rotation starter in Scott Olsen. From my viewpoint, this team has been kept afloat from the unlikely success of many players. Jorge Cantu, Luis Gonzalez and just about every single pitcher on their staff. The Marlins are a group of recycled veteran castoffs that have gelled incredibly well for the first two months of the 2008 season. The reason why I feel that this team is about to nose dive to fourth place is simply that they cannot expect all of these players to continue their unusual success all at the same time. Also, when you look at what internal support they have coming to them there are a couple of talented young pitchers returning from serious arm problems (Josh Johnson and A

Getting a Job in Baseball

I figure that it is time to write an update with respect to my professional development as this blog is intended to shine some light as to how young professionals can get into Major League Baseball using my anecdotal stories as an example. The Waiting Game I recently went on a two week vacation to Egypt and the Dominican Republic. When I left, I had no job offers, few leads and no reason to feel hopeful that anything was coming. Yet I still had the feeling that when I checked my phone each night for messages that I would have good news. Before going to sleep in a timezone that was 7 hours ahead of the east coast, I would turn my cellphone on for five minutes to try and catch a signal to see if I had voice messages. The nerves making my stomach turn over each day that I either did not receive a message or there was no signal for the phone to pick up as we sailed along the Nile. After returning to Cairo, where cellphones work with ease, the message finally came through to me on January 7

2009 MLB Free Agents

Potential Free Agents for 2009-2010: Catchers: Josh Bard BOS Michael Barrett TOR Henry Blanco SD Ramon Castro CWS Jason Kendall MIL Jason LaRue STL Chad Moeller BAL Bengie Molina SF Jose Molina NYY x-Miguel Olivo KC Mike Redmond MIN Brian Schneider NYM x-Gregg Zaun TB First-Basemen: Hank Blalock TEX Russell Branyan SEA Carlos Delgado NYM Nomar Garciaparra OAK Jason Giambi COL Aubrey Huff DET Nick Johnson WAS Adam LaRoche ATL Kevin Millar TOR Greg Norton ATL Robb Quinlan LAA Matt Stairs PHI Mike Sweeney SEA Jim Thome LAD Chad Tracy ARZ Second Basemen: Marlon Anderson NYM Ron Belliard LAD Jamey Carroll CLE David Eckstein SD Orlando Hudson LAD Felipe Lopez MIL Mark Loretta LAD Third Basemen: Adrian Beltre SEA Geoff Blum HOU Joe Crede MIN Mark DeRosa STL Pedro Feliz PHI Chone Figgins LAA Troy Glaus STL Jerry Hairston NYY Mike Lamb MIL Melvin Mora BAL Juan Uribe SF Shortstops: Orlando Cabrera MIN Juan Castro LAD Alex Cora NYM Khalil Greene STL Ramon Martinez LAD Miguel Tejada HOU Corner Out